HISTORY OF THE PARISH
Hollowell lies almost equidistant between the larger villages of Creaton and Guilsborough, one mile from the A5199, 9.5 miles north-west from Northampton.
The name Hollowell, originally Hollewelle, means the stream or spring in the hollow. It is listed in the Domesday survey of 1086 where a mill is mentioned. Several springs rose in the fields above the grounds of Hollowell Manor. These springs form a stream which goes underground at the Jetty and resurfaces in Home Farm Yard and then crosses the fields to join Stowe Brook.
The principal road structure through the village remains virtually unchanged since the 17th century and consists principally of three roads, Creaton Road, Guilsborough Hill and Church Hill which give the village its overall pattern in the shape of an irregular “Y”.
Approaching from Creaton off the A5199, the view of the village is outstanding, nestling in the valley of Stowe Brook with the reservoir bordering the north-east side and the church resting prominently on the west slopes. The bell tower, stone cross, east window and steep sloped roof can be seen clearly with the lower walls and churchyard sheltered from view by surrounding trees.
The character of the three main “arms” of the village are of mixed sizes and styles, with the variety ranging from the 17th century to the 21st Century and includes some dwellings that have been built on the site of older houses.
Always a small agricultural settlement, Hollowell’s population peaked in 1831 at 318 and by 1901 it had shrunk to 145. After this there was a steady climb to 353 in 2001(this figure includes the population of Teeton). In 2000 there were 115 households in Hollowell (including Highfield Park).
Hollowell reservoir was constructed on the Stowe Brook in the valley to the north east of the village. It was completed in 1938, is linked by a tunnel to Ravensthorpe reservoir and is a major landscape feature of the area.
The origins of the name Teeton may signify its importance as a lookout or signalling point, for the land to the south west drops into a valley giving clear views all the way through to Northampton. In 1086 it was ‘Teche’ and in 1316 ‘Tetene’ from the saxon meaning ‘signal’ or ‘taecne’ meaning ‘beacon’.
It was always recorded as a hamlet within the parish of Ravensthorpe but in 1933 Northamptonshire County Council proposed that Teeton be joined to Hollowell Parish Council and this was done in 1936. It is believed that Teeton Mill was entered in the Domesday survey as Holdenby Mill, but references are made to Teeton Mill in 1619, 1672 and 1718. Reference – Geoffrey H. Starmer ‘A List of Northamptonshire Wind and Water Mills’
A small mainly farming community, Teeton maintained steady population figures of around 100 for many years. In the mid to late 19th century the population was accommodated in 23 houses. At the beginning of the 20th century, Teeton consisted of approx 10 houses.
Lying south west of Hollowell it is believed that the settlement of Teeton was formed as an estate for Teeton Hall. The Church Rooms (Chapel), The Mill and the public house still survive and have now been converted with some minor additions into three residences.
Three narrow roads from the east, south and west meet in the centre of Teeton at the entrance to Teeton Hall to form the principle area of the settlement. Dwellings are of mixed sizes and styles with the variety ranging from the 17th to 20th century. During the 19th and 20th centuries, the farm labourers’ cottages, farm houses, the mill and farm land were slowly sold off. And as a consequence the hamlet moved from a ‘self supporting’ community focussed on providing labour and provisions for the estates owner to a collection of houses in open countryside.